Monday, January 30, 2012

Thankful


So yesterday was kinda a rough day.

I woke up around 6:30 a.m. with a pain in my lower left back, which I assumed was just stiffness from sleeping a certain way. But after about 20 minutes of trying to stretch the stiffness out, it didn't improve at all, and in fact was feeling worse. And it was bad, I mean real bad. I tried all different positions to try and relieve it, but nothing was making a difference. After about half an hour, I broke down and started sobbing, which woke David up. I told him what was going on, but of course there was nothing he could do to help me.

At this point, I am really starting to suspect that this is more then just a muscle cramp/spasm, whatever. Memories of the back labour I experienced when I delivered Julia, started flooding back, and I started to panic a little. Although the pain was restricted to just the one side of my lower back, I also felt a lot of tightening in my abdomen as well.

Well of all the Sunday's for this to happen, there couldn't have been a worse one. I was scheduled to substitute a Sunday School class that morning, to run the media shout program during the church service, AND the whole family was supposed to leave right after church, for David's grandmother's funeral in Spirit River (a four hour drive). But the pain would not subside, and after almost two hours, it was decided that I should go to the hospital.

But here is where the thankful part comes in...

A few phone calls, and in a matter of minutes and in very short notice, I had no less then four different people jump in and help me, without any hesitation... all I had to do was ask. One to take my class, one for media shout, one to babysit my kids, and one to watch the pooch. Plus a couple more who were just praying for me. You see, these people were mostly from my church family, something that is still relatively new to me. How wonderful it was to feel like there was so many people I could rely on in a 'pinch'. Especially when living up here, where we have no 'real' family to call upon. (Well I guess that is not entirely true... I "called" on my sister 1000km away, as I always do when I'm a bundle of tears and need a voice of reassurance and calm. Plus I always know that I can count on her for prayer)

So I kind of learned a lesson in all this:

1) Don't be a hero and figure you don't need help. Don't be afraid you are putting people out. Most people are willing and wanting to help when a crisis hits, it makes them feel useful and not so helpless.
2) Offer to help. When you are on the other end, and someone looks like they need it, offer "what can I do?". No one wants to ask, but they way be more willing if you actually offer.
3) Don't hesitate to offer or say yes when asked. If you hesitate, the selfish part of you you will start to take over, and list all the reasons why you can't be of service. Chances are you can work around those circumstances easier than the person who is asking for the favour.

Something else I'm thankful for? The thoroughness of all the medical people I encountered. From the efficient receptionists, kind nurses, and very thorough doctors, everyone who saw us yesterday made this whole experience so much less stressful then it needed to be. And believe me, I know that is certainly not always the case.

And of course, I am thankful for my husband. It was a long day for him to have to see me in so much pain, and also coming to terms with the possibility he wasn't going to make it to his Grandmother's funeral on Monday. He had just the right amount of sympathy and common sense about the whole thing. He was also at the ready with his Blackberry in hand, Googling everything the doctor was telling us :).

Oh yeah, and the whole horrific pain throbbing my lower back?

Well 8 viles of blood, two non-stress tests, countless blood pressure checks, an internal exam, a scare I was experiencing a liver disorder, and two doctors later... and it was pronounced that my pain was nothing more then indeed, muscular. Something else I was so thankful for!

And this morning? After all that, the pain is completely gone! Can I get an Amen?! And David is on the road to the funeral, something I am so thankful that he didn't have to miss.

No comments: