Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What's it going to take?


BEFORE

What's it going take?

The sore back? The bad knee? The aching hips? The headaches? The stiff neck and shoulders? The chronic nausea? The abdominal pain? The chest pains? Oh, and the latest... three aching fingers on my left hand?
Nope. Obviously not.

If all these things combined doesn't motivate me to take seriously better care of my body, then what will?

A diagnoses of diabetes? Lung Cancer? Arthritis? Angina? A heart attack?

I doubt it.

I like smoking, eating, and a sedentary lifestyle.
I don't like feeling tired, achy, sore, and sick all the time.
I can't have it both ways. On an intellectual level, I know this.
And as I get older, things are deteriorating at more rapid rate.

What gives me the right to take this physical body God gave me, and turn it into such a disgrace? I am ashamed and embarrassed and sad.

It has been so long since I had a day, even a portion of a day, where I felt "good". I mean really good. What I suspect most healthy and fit people feel on a normal day.

Maybe that's what it would take. One full day of feeling amazing. You see, I think I have forgotten what that feels like, so it's like I don't know what I'm missing. Maybe that would be the motivator. Unfortunately, I fear I am too far gone to experience that again.

I am not a hypochondriac. I hate going to the doctor, and try to ignor my problems as best I can. I do not feel sorry for myself. I take full responsibility to what I've let happen to me. The last thing I want is for you to feel pity for me. Do not pitty me, it makes me feel even sicker.

But I have to stop typing now, because the "aurthritis" (tounge in cheek), in the fingers of my left hand ache too much to write anymore.
Seriously.

So what's it going to take?


AFTER

4 comments:

Mish-L said...

aw shucks, and my whole plan revolved around eating fish...

but seriously, thanks for the support. once I get settled, I will be making it a priority

Brendon and Jodi said...

can I join and be motivated, too??? I need to do something and I'm frustrated at my lack of 'get up and go'... it seems to have permanently 'got up and left' - at least in the fitness department... Thanks for the transparency, M.

Mandy said...

Let me pause a moment to enjoy my shock at the fact that you posted.
.
..
...
Ok. That's over.

Well. You know what needs to be done and moving (despite it's stresses) is a good time to turn new leaf and build a new set of healthy habits.

I have all the faith in the world that you can do it.

I love you loads.
Mandy

Anonymous said...

Wow, I feel so bad for not knowing how you felt. I will try my best to get you motivated, you can do it!! Love Grite