Like really really.
How do you describe to someone the things that you are passionate about? I only have a couple of things in my life that I would say I'm passionate about. And although other people in this world share the same passions, no one really close to me does. So when I try to tell someone how excited or emotional or overwhelming I feel about a certain thing, I always seem to fall short. Does anyone else feel this way?
I especially have a hard time describing it to my wonderfully understanding, yet somewhat unemotional husband. When I'm babbling on about a busy day at work, or about a great acting performance, or maybe crying over a song being played on the stereo, in those moments, I feel that people just don't "get me".
So here I am again trying to give one of my passions some sort of venue to be understood...
Music is actually a fairly easy one to understand, because it is so common a love. I mean, everybody listens to music right? I just really haven't been close to a lot of people that feel the way I do about it. (My father is an exception here, as he is very passionate about music, and it is probably thanks to him that I am too)
Now its not like I can play the music, no, that would be a whole other magnificent passion to embrace. (Which, as an aside, I would like to mention that those are one of those frequent questions I ask God "If I can appreciate the music so much, then why can't I play or sing it?", but I digress...) No, what I have is a passion for what I call true music appreciation. Of course I have my favourite genres, but I am able to really appreciate good musicality of almost any genre. And more specifically what I mean, is to be in touch with the emotions that certain music and lyrics can invoke. There are songs, MANY songs, that I cry EVERY TIME I listen to them, I can't help it. Tears of joy, sorrow, praise, or whatever the case may be, come streaming down my face at sometimes the most inopportune moments. And its been interesting to watch myself develop over the years as to which songs provoke these emotions. When I was a teenager, any good love song would do it for me. Now, it's songs about family and marriage and Jesus that have so much meaning. Although, my taste in the music itself and not the lyrics has surprisingly never changed.
Okay, so now that I have written that, I realize that probably everyone reading it is thinking "Yeah, I get that, music really does it for me too". Which tells me that I really CAN'T explain what music has the power to do to me, therefore I should just stop trying to explain it :) The funny thing is, for someone who claims to love music so much, I really don't get a chance to listen, I mean really listen to it as often as I would like.
An Exception:
One blessed exception to the rule that "nobody understands what I am passionate about", is my passion for Jesus Christ. I could not even try to put into words at this time how passionate I feel about Him. In fact, passion does not even seem like the appropriate word. So why the exception? Because fortunately in my life, I do have people who are just as passionate for Him as I am, so when I am in their fellowship, I feel completely understood. Praise God for that.
If you are interested, here are two songs that are really "doing it for me" right now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjDojEOiMcE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1g38nMr9qc
How do you describe to someone the things that you are passionate about? I only have a couple of things in my life that I would say I'm passionate about. And although other people in this world share the same passions, no one really close to me does. So when I try to tell someone how excited or emotional or overwhelming I feel about a certain thing, I always seem to fall short. Does anyone else feel this way?
I especially have a hard time describing it to my wonderfully understanding, yet somewhat unemotional husband. When I'm babbling on about a busy day at work, or about a great acting performance, or maybe crying over a song being played on the stereo, in those moments, I feel that people just don't "get me".
So here I am again trying to give one of my passions some sort of venue to be understood...
Music is actually a fairly easy one to understand, because it is so common a love. I mean, everybody listens to music right? I just really haven't been close to a lot of people that feel the way I do about it. (My father is an exception here, as he is very passionate about music, and it is probably thanks to him that I am too)
Now its not like I can play the music, no, that would be a whole other magnificent passion to embrace. (Which, as an aside, I would like to mention that those are one of those frequent questions I ask God "If I can appreciate the music so much, then why can't I play or sing it?", but I digress...) No, what I have is a passion for what I call true music appreciation. Of course I have my favourite genres, but I am able to really appreciate good musicality of almost any genre. And more specifically what I mean, is to be in touch with the emotions that certain music and lyrics can invoke. There are songs, MANY songs, that I cry EVERY TIME I listen to them, I can't help it. Tears of joy, sorrow, praise, or whatever the case may be, come streaming down my face at sometimes the most inopportune moments. And its been interesting to watch myself develop over the years as to which songs provoke these emotions. When I was a teenager, any good love song would do it for me. Now, it's songs about family and marriage and Jesus that have so much meaning. Although, my taste in the music itself and not the lyrics has surprisingly never changed.
Okay, so now that I have written that, I realize that probably everyone reading it is thinking "Yeah, I get that, music really does it for me too". Which tells me that I really CAN'T explain what music has the power to do to me, therefore I should just stop trying to explain it :) The funny thing is, for someone who claims to love music so much, I really don't get a chance to listen, I mean really listen to it as often as I would like.
An Exception:
One blessed exception to the rule that "nobody understands what I am passionate about", is my passion for Jesus Christ. I could not even try to put into words at this time how passionate I feel about Him. In fact, passion does not even seem like the appropriate word. So why the exception? Because fortunately in my life, I do have people who are just as passionate for Him as I am, so when I am in their fellowship, I feel completely understood. Praise God for that.
If you are interested, here are two songs that are really "doing it for me" right now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjDojEOiMcE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1g38nMr9qc


3 comments:
I've always loved Lifehouse and have a lot of their earlier stuff. Also, since you posted the link to the Five Iron Frenzy song on my blog, I frequently go to the link and listen to it. That song makes me cry every time, and try as I might, I can't find the album anywhere on iTunes.
And this is not an insult(just proof of my ignorance about you) but I had no idea you had such great taste. The last time I checked you were listening to a lot of Queen. I think this was circa grade 8. You should post more links and lists, you guru you.
Hugs, Mandy
HA HA!
Thanks! Still enjoy Queen though :)
I had know idea that you liked that Five Iron Frenzy song so much! So I guess you "get me" then eh?
Yes, I think we need to get together to share some music.
Yeah, I'm sure there's some Queen song out there for me to discover and like, alas, their very name gives me hives so I tend to lurch in the opposite direction whenever something of theirs is about to be played. Ditto Meatloaf.
We'll have to coordinate some schedules...
Post a Comment